Help being chased for a debt that is not mine !!!!!! - Debt Watchdog
  The independent answer to your debt problemslogin  join  
home | Debt Forums | In Debt? Start Here Forum

Help being chased for a debt that is not mine !!!!!!

MADSMADS
06-04-2009 01:21 PM

Hi can anyone help
I am being chased by a company called S RJ Debt recoveries LTD. They claim that I owe over 300 for an electricity bill at an address in wombwell south yourkshire. Firstly I have lived in south yorkshire but have never lived in wombwell. I did date a girl that lived at this address in 2005. I did not sign anything get any mail sent to that address etc. At the time I was lodging with my sister and do not have proof of my address. SRJ Have sent me copies of all the electricity bills with my name clearly stated on them but I never signed up or agreed to it.
I have found out it is a property agency that owns the house but they will not give me tenants details for the time concerned. I have no details for this girl ( we only dated for about a month) just a name. How can i prove i never lived there and she signed up for the electricity. Please help
I am know living with my fiancee in another part of the country and we have had lots of bad luck recently, she has been diagnosed with a long term neurological condition, we both lost close relatives and I lost my job a few months back. We don't have the money to pay this and don't see why we should. We are already stressed sorting out our own finacial matters without this on top. This company are particulary rude on the phone and we have had to wait a month for the paperwrk to be sent. If anyone knows how we can sort this please help
thanks
Chris

paladin 07-04-2009 09:27 AM

My Profile
Hi Madsmads,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. In respect of the debt recovery business they have obviously bought a lot of debts from the utility company and blindly chasing all of them. In your, and and for that matter anyone else's case it is up to the creditor to prove that they have a contract with you, the debtor. In your position the debt collector would have to produce a contract with your signature on it. If they can't do this then they have no means of proving the debt in court and consequently they must stop pestering you.

The OFT has issued guidance on the matter of creditor pestering which has the effect that the debt collectors will lose their license if they keep pestering you and put them out of business.

My advice would be to write to the debt collectors, recorded delivery, and state that you did not live at the address concerned, the debt is not yours and that if they persist in harassing you will report the matter to then OFT.

I hope this helps and I hope everything in your life will sort itself out.

Good luck to and your girlfriend and if you need any help with drafting the letters just post back.

P

MADSMADS
07-04-2009 09:55 AM

Many thanks for your reply. I wrote to the company and sent the letter recorded delivery and told them I have never lived at that address but they still keep hassiling me, so any help you can give in how to word the letter would be great. Do I ask them to produce something with my signiture on or not?
Many thanks

paladin 07-04-2009 10:58 AM

My Profile
MM
Write to the debt collection agency using the following letter as guidance. The point about call recording system is a little white lie. Of course you could always have one fitted if you feel it would be beneficial.

If you need any more help just post back

P

Dear Sir /Madam
Further to my previous correspondences I am formally notifying you that I do not acknowledge the debt (insert details).

I have never signed any contract for utilities for the address in question nor lived there. As such if you persist in contacting me in respect of this debt I will report the matter to both my local Trading Standards Department and OFT as this is a clear breach of their guidance. As evidence of your breach I will produce a log of calls (call recording system now installed) and letters which your company has sent to me.

I must make you aware that I fully understand my rights and what sanctions can be imposed on your company. It is my understanding that Section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970 and any further contacts regarding this debt constitutes a course of conduct, which is a criminal offence under Section 2 of The Prevention from Harassment Act 1997.

I will not hesitate to contact the appropriate authorities should you choose to ignore this letter and still try and contact me by phone. I would be obliges if you acknowledge receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully

Dimjim
05-07-2009 07:28 PM

There's enough comments about the internet - and its only the tip of the iceberg - to wonder why SRJ aren't investigated for some of the methods they use.

Copyright Title Tags Ltd Registered in England and Wales No. 05955435 All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974: 618869.
Data Protection Act Registration Number Z1165609.
debt advice | terms and conditions | contact | privacy | useful resources